Monday, July 30, 2007

Today is Monday, 30 July 2007. Yesterday I returned from another fun-filled VROC (Vulcan Riders and Owners Club) Rally that was held in Grand Lake, CO. I left home about 9:00 AM on Thursday, 26 July, and met my friend Solo (Dave Leonard) at his home in Denver. We continued on to another friend's home in Westminster (GoodGreg) where we picked up him and his wife. Our destination was the Blue Bird Motel in Grand Lake by way of Rocky Mountain National Park and Trail Ridge Road.

I have an aversion to heights as it applies to roads and me riding/ driving on them and I wanted to start the process of defeating this irrational fear. Solo and GoodGreg were willing to help me in this. Their solution? I was to lead the way! As it turns out it was a definite step in the right direction. It started out by Solo paying my way into Rocky Mountain National Park. Personnally I think it was a bribe. :>) I started out fine but at the very first switchback before heading up the side of the mountain I thought I was going to meet my Maker. I'm taking in the sights as I go into the turn and when I look to where I'm supposed to be going I find that I have drifted into the other lane and there's a pickup truck coming the other way! Okay, first lesson, ALWAYS watch where you're going. After my very quick recovery I start paying complete attention to the road. The first part of the climb was okay because of the numerous trees on the downhill side of the road. Then I hit the first stretch of road where there are no trees and I see how high up I am. After that first gut-wrenching feeling I tell myself that I'm not going to fall off the end of the world and I concentrate on the road ahead. I manage to make it to the first vista overlook point and I decide to pull off in order to regain my composure. My hands are shaking and I feel those tell-tale sweaty armpits. I reassure Solo and GoodGreg that I'm okay and that I just need a few minutes to relax. To do that I take a picture of the road we just came up:



Here is another view from the same overlook:

These views are the reason why I want to conquer this fear. I know I am missing out on many wonderful rides because of it.

After our rest we mounted up and continued on. The farther I get along Trail Ridge Road the more relaxed I become. We eventually run into rain so I wasn't able to get more pictures of the park. All in all, I think I'm slowly getting used to these roads as the descent from the Alpine Visitors Center was more enjoyable despite the rain.

Our group arrived in Grand Lake and the Blue Bird Motel after picking up a couple of fellow VROC'ers at a parking area just north of town. Our arrival began another weekend of wonderful roads, great people and the freedom of being away from all of our cares.

Thursday night's dinner was at Pancho & Lefty's in Grand Lake. The VROC crowd literally invaded the place. The food was good but the service and attitude of some of the workers could use a little "adjustment". Hint to any food service people out there: when you have a full restaurant of paying customers, the better the service and behavior towards those customers is, the better your tips are.

Friday dawned a little overcast and cool with the threat of rain (as it did every day except for Sunday). Solo and I opted for the breakfast buffet at the Fat Cat in Grand Lake. It was an excellent choice for getting us into the mood for that day's ride. There weren't a whole lot of opportunities for pictures as we both love to ride but not necessarily stop. However, we did stop at Willow Creek Summit on SR125 for a photo op on the Continental Divide:

That's me (ELNomad) on the left and Solo on the right.


We rode up to Walden then caught SR14 back down to US40 and returned to the Blue Bird Motel after having lunch at Betty's Cafe & Bakery just south of the motel.


I elected to take Saturday off and relaxed around the motel with rides being limited to going to breakfast, lunch and dinner.


Sunday dawned as the most perfect riding day and the best of the weekend. It was also the day we and several others were heading out for home or other destinations. Solo and I elected to take US40 from Granby, over Berthoud Pass and on over to I-70 to our respective home destinations. Again, I led the way over the pass but was pleasantly surprised by the wide, wonderful road. This was also a photo op with the Continental Divide going through here also:



As a side note about the rally, this is supposed to be a Vulcan (as in Kawasaki motorcycles) rally but as is with all of our other rallys other brands are allowed and welcomed. This year's Goldwing contingent was well-represented with eleven Wings in the midst. They are affectionately referred to as "Tupperware" and we had our own little "Tupperware Party". This is the picture showing the party members:



Another favorite activity we have is eating and can we eat! As noted before, we invaded more than one establishment in our quest for food. These are of Thursday night's feed at Pancho & Lefty's in Grand Lake:






My next planned rally will be at Eureka Springs, AR in September. Solo would like to attend also so hopefully it will work out for both of us.

Until next time, safe riding to those who do and keep the rubber-side down.

Labels:

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home